Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Civilized English Evening Out

My cooperating ELL teacher, Jane K, took me out yesterday to David Austin Roses for afternoon tea! Because apparently English people do still indulge in tea time (I had no clue---it's not like we still do barn raisings or, you know, something more culturally relevant [cut me some slack, it's 8 in the morning]). Aaanyway, afterward, we walked around the not-yet-in-bloom gardens, and she showed me this trick kids do with rose thorns, "rhinose":

Jane, with a rose thorn on her nose.

Then we fetched her son, Sam, from school and he showed me his Daleks---he has the 18" one with voice control; I'm quite jealous!---and we watched Thunderbirds, which I'd never even heard of, and which is SO kitsch (or as Jane says, "naff") that I, of course, loved it immediately!

We topped the evening off by meeting her not-husband, Mark, at the Foaming Jug pub, where for once I wasn't the one who knocked over the drinks [Sam], and where I demonstrated how lousy I would be in a crisis-situation, because I just sat there, eating my fries/chips and moving my purse out of the way of the spillage.

Jane, reacting to the difference between Mark & Sam's desserts. [posed, btw]

4 comments:

  1. I remember the Thunderbirds - puppets in space. Never really liked it, too weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I get home you'll have to re-watch it with me, as an adult now: there are some design/contextual things that totally made me think 'Ma would get a big kick out of that!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. chels, you think i can find them online to dl?

    ReplyDelete
  4. *I'm* counting on it being available for download. (There's a US film version though, so watch out for that.) Give me a heads' up before you watch it though, so I can point out a couple things, otherwise you'll probably just find it weird.

    ReplyDelete